Press release

Press release: Panasonic reduces CO2 emissions and costs thanks to solar solution from ENVIRIA

Alexandra Siokou

Alexandra Siokou



ENVIRIA has implemented a 1,800-square-meter solar plant on the roofs of Panasonic’s warehouses in Wiesbaden-Biebrich. The system was commissioned on 14 June together with Panasonic and the energy service provider ESWE Versorgung. Panasonic thus saves more than 100 tons of CO2 emissions annually and can cover 42 percent of its electricity needs at the site with solar energy.

“We are very happy to be able to contribute to Panasonic’s journey towards climate neutrality. The plant makes it possible to reduce emissions and save on electricity costs at the same time: a win-win for the company and the environment,” says Melchior Schulze Brock, CEO of ENVIRIA. A total of 299,000 kilowatt hours of environmentally- and climate-friendly solar energy will be produced. This will enable Panasonic to reduce its energy costs by around 30 percent and save a 6-digit Euro amount in electricity costs annually.

“As Panasonic, we have committed to our Green Impact Strategy to reduce CO2 emissions from our operations to zero by 2030, and to achieve through innovation over 300 million tons of reduced and avoided emissions in our value chain by 2050. The large-scale solar installation here at our Wiesbaden site is one step of many that we are currently taking together with our employees, partners, and customers,” explains Hideki Katayama, Managing Director of Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH. Panasonic intends to use around 72 percent of the electricity for its own needs, and feed the remaining 28 percent into the grid. This ratio results, among other things, from the fact that significantly less electricity is needed than is produced at weekends and, in some cases, during the summer holidays. In addition, the company allows its employees to charge their e-cars with 100% renewable energy.

“Together we are laying the foundations for tomorrow’s secure and climate-friendly energy supply,” adds Marc Fischer, sales manager of Panasonic’s local utility ESWE Versorgung. “The energy transition can only be implemented locally in the cities and communities. This requires strong partners. We are proud that we can implement this important project for Panasonic and thus jointly promote a change in thinking.”


ENVIRIA provides a radically simple way to shift to solar power and is one of the fastest growing companies in the European solar market. ENVIRIA’s scalable Energy-as-a-Service solutions enable companies to switch to renewable energy, without necessarily making any investments themselves. The start-up covers the entire solar value chain and takes on the planning, installation and operation of new photovoltaic systems and the integration of charging stations and energy storage for its customers. In this way, ENVIRIA boosts the participation of companies in the energy transition and supports the democratization of power generation.

To date, ENVIRIA has developed more than 200 commercial projects with an installed capacity of over 70 MW. In 2022 alone, more than 41,000 tons of CO2 emissions were saved. In 2022, ENVIRIA was included in the “SET100 list” of the world’s 100 best startups in the energy sector and was recognized with the Hessian Founder’s Award for “Social Impact” in 2021.

About Panasonic Group

Founded in 1918, the Panasonic Group is now a global leader in developing innovative technologies and solutions for a wide range of applications in the consumer electronics, home and residential, automotive, industrial, communications technology and energy sectors.

On 1 April 2022, the Panasonic Group was transformed into a holding structure with eight main business units under its umbrella. The Group achieved consolidated net sales of €59.4 billion (8,378.9 trillion yen) in the fiscal year ended 31 March 2023.

To learn more about the Panasonic Group, please visit:

About ESWE Versorgungs AG

ESWE Versorgung is the modern energy service provider from Wiesbaden, whose tradition dates back to 1930. In the Hessian capital, it reliably guarantees the supply of electricity, natural gas and district heating. ESWE has also made a name for itself nationwide as an energy supplier with top conditions.

ESWE Versorgung focuses on innovation and was quick to launch products and services in the smart home, AAL and e-mobility sectors. The company is involved in forward-looking research and development projects to improve the climate of our cities through innovative technologies.

Alexandra Siokou

Press contact ENVIRIA

Alexandra Siokou

Phone: 0174 243 85 95

Awards and memberships